What's Causing The Wine Supply Shortages?
Over the past year, we have been seeing an increasing issue with the supply of wine exported into the UK.
As a drinks distributor, we are experiencing this issue first hand. Deliveries into the UK are being affected by several issues. These include poor harvests, rising cost of transport and also the Brexit effect.
Read on to discover what we believe to be the main reasons for the current wine supply shortage.
- Low stock due to low production during lockdown (UK and Worldwide).
- Prolonged spring frost, summer rain and resulting plant disease, affecting French, Italian and Spanish Regions.
- Poor harvest and severe frosts affect New Zealand wine production.
Wine produced by Italy, France and Spain could fall by as much as 18% for 2021 - 2022.
- A global shortage of shipping containers.
- Worldwide bottleneck as production restarts following lockdown.
- The price of transport is rocketing along with demand.
Shipping rates to ship a 40-foot container have quadrupled compared to 2020.
- Red tape is reducing exports to the UK.
- Export costs to the UK are rising.
- Shortage of national delivery drivers.
Prosecco exports to Britain are down by 9%.
To ensure you can access the drinks you need for your outlet we are continuously working with suppliers and producers.
Where we are unable to source certain labels we will always offer a suitable alternative.
Please get in touch if you would like to discuss any concerns you may have.